Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Friend...

Friend, what does it mean? What does it mean to have one, to be one, to need one...
Friendship is something that can be taken lightly or taken for granted.

Me and my best friend have a quote that has always held us together:
"Friendship isn't a big thing - it's a million little things."

We have been friends for almost 18 years and that might sound like a big thing, but it's not, it's all the single moments that make it so special.

After Kate when to college we needed to learn a new quote:
"A friendship can weather most things and thrive in thin soil - but it needs a little mulch of letters and phone calls and small silly presents every so often - just to save it from drying out completely." - Pam Brown

It is great to be so close with someone that you can goes months without seeing each other or even talking and then get back together and pick right up where you left off...but is that enough?
Is that what it means to be a friend?

Friendship isn't always an easy thing, but then again why should it be. Friendship without some sort of effort is sort of purposeless.

A friendship should be give and take...both making an effort...walking the road called life side-by-side. Granted sometimes life sucks and someone needs a piggyback ride...but that's all part of it.

I'll be the first to admit I am not always a good friend. I fall into the trap of being friends with the people it is easiest too. The ones I see everyday or the ones that don't challenge me.

Despite the fact that I know I need the ones that are closest to my heart, just not my zip code....or the ones that get in my face and set my stubborn self straight.

so I guess I am still...

~striving...

2 comments:

  1. Ummm... Coviction!!! didn't I just email you about this no but a week ago??? I miss you love, I wish you were coming home for the summer!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete